Our Team, our Knowledge, our Experience.
Whenever we talk about energynautics, we refer to our team – the core value of our company which makes it your reliable partner for projects in the field of renewable energies. We stand for competence, flexibility and fast direct access to industry experts.
energynautics GmbH was founded, among others, by Thomas Ackermann, Ph.D.
energynautics‘ achievements – similar to those of other successful companies – have been possible thanks to the knowledge, performance and commitment of the people working here. We add pioneering spirit and flexibility to that as well as a strong will to stand up to new challenges, to get involved in novel projects and to find innovative, sustainable solutions.
Everybody working for energynautics has solid expertise, long-standing experience and an extensive network of international contacts. This enables us to develop a wide variety of innovative solutions for our clients.
Sound Expert Knowledge & long standing Experience:
Meet our Team
and International Experience
- Combined Degree in Mechanical Engineering & Business Administration / TU Berlin
- Master of Science in Physics / University of Otago (New Zealand)
- Ph.D. / Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm (Sweden)
- Thomas Ackermann Ph.D. is the owner and CEO of energynautics with over 25 years of world-wide experience in the area of grid integration of renewables and electric vehicles. He provides research and consultancy services to the energy industry, especially regarding power system integration of renewable energies and innovative energy applications, as well as in the area of energy policy, i.e. deregulation of energy markets. He is frequently involved in consulting activities for government departments and electricity service providers on the matter of power system design and operation, as well as regulatory matters and grid code issues. He has successfully completed projects in Australia, Barbados, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Guatemala, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Philippines, Seychelles, Sweden, Thailand, Vietnam and USA.
- In addition, he is actively involved as lecturer at Universities and within capacity building courses in the dissemination of knowledge about the integration of renewable energies into existing power systems around the world.
Strong Research Link
Our Expert for Renewable Energies
- Dipl.-Ing. in Electrical Engineering specialized on Energy Systems, Renewable Energies and Electrical Machines / Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany
- Ph.D. on „Permanent Magnet Induction Generator for Wind Power Application” / Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany Eckehard Tröster Ph.D. is CEO and Senior Consultant at Energynautics and manages projects in all areas of grid integration of renewable and decentralized generation, dealing with issues on all voltage levels. His current main working area is related to the modeling of combined heat and power plants for certification purposes according to the German medium voltage directive. He therefore actively participates in numerous working groups related to the development of technical regulations for measurement, simulation, model validation and certification of renewable and decentralized power plants. Furthermore he has many contacts in the energy business and is a lecturer at the International Department of the Karlsruher Institute of Technology (KIT).
Simulation and Practice
Our Specialist für Modelling and Grid Codes
- Dipl.-Ing. in Energiesystemtechnik / Technische Universität Clausthal
- Ph.D. on „Virtual Power Plants with Micro-Cogeneration“ / Technische Universität Darmstadt
Nis Martensen Ph.D. is an expert with years of experience in the modelling and simulation of distribution networks and an accomplished researcher in matters of modelling and design of renewable energy systems and power system dynamics, with particular experience in small hybrid systems. Dr. Martensen is an expert user of the power system analysis software DIgSILENT PowerFactory.
- Jan-David Schmidt studied Electrical Engineering focusing on power systems at the Technical University of Darmstadt.
- Since July 2013, he has been an employee at Energynautics. His focus is the development and validation of dynamic models.
- Jan-David Schmidt has extensive knowledge in the creation and validation of dynamic models, including wind power plants, PV systems, and internal combustion engines. As a result, he has ensured a successful certification for a variety of simulation models.
- He advises network operators and regulatory authorities on the application of planning principles for low and medium voltage grid to evaluate such networks.
- Based on his extensive knowledge of dynamic models, he carried out dynamic simulations for network studies in Central America.
- Peter-Philipp Schierhorn studied Electrical Engineering at the Technical University of Darmstadt and has been employed at Energynautics since 2014.
- Mr. Schierhorn possesses considerable expertise in transmission grid and power system global issues such as generator dispatch, electricity markets, system services and system optimization using various software tools (including Energynautics’ own software tool ENAplan), as well as detailed knowledge of the properties of conventional generation.
- At Energynautics, he was involved in a number of studies in Central America, India and South East Asia and is experienced in working in developing countries and with small island power systems.
- Mr. Schierhorn possesses considerable expertise on German and international grid codes and regulatory frameworks. He was one of the contributing authors of an IRENA study “The Role of Grid Codes,” published in 2016.
- Daniel Masendorf studied Electrical Engineering and Information Technology at TU Darmstadt. During his studies he specialized on electrical power engineering with the focus on energy conversion and electrical power systems.
- He has been employed at Energynautics since May 2016. One of his focuses is on simulation model development of different power plants.
- Daniel Masendorf is experienced in the field of model development of combustion engines to proof FRT ability. Those models are validated according to Technical Guidelines 4 from the German institute FGW. Additionally, he developed simulation models from other kinds of power plants, for example wind turbines, and power grids.
- Besides model development, he is involved in measurements in grids with power quality analysers (PQAs) and phasor measurement units (PMUs) and the associated evaluation of data.
- Sabrina Hempel studied Physics with minor subject Computer Science at the Goethe-University Frankfurt. During her master studies, she focused on renewable energies and energy systems.
- She has been employed by Energynautics since January 2017 and her main area of expertise lies in the integration of renewable energies into the distribution system. This encompasses the development of smart control algorithms as well as the modelling and control of local assets connected to the distribution grid, such as PV and battery systems.
- Sabrina Hempel has experience with different communications standards, including new communication possibilities arising with the smart meter rollout in Germany.
- Leonard Hülsmann received his bachelor’s degree in renewable energy engineering from the University of Stuttgart and a M.Sc. double degree from the European Institute of Innovation & Technology (EIT) for completing the Master program ‘Energy for Smart Cities’ at the KU Leuven, Belgium, and KTH Stockholm, Sweden.
- Employed since January 2017, his core areas at Energynautics are Smart Grids and voltage control in distribution grids.
- He demonstrates his knowledge and experience in projects about the modelling and validation of distribution grids, in which various Smart Grid technologies and voltage control concepts are implemented, e.g. innovative technologies like on-load tap changers and batteries or using reactive power control by renewable energy plants.
- Pablo Gambín Belinchón studied Industrial Engineering with minor subject Electrical Engineering at the University of Seville. During his studies, he focused in Power Systems and Renewable Energies.
- He is experienced in the development of techno-economical software such as Unit Commitment and Planning Investments tools. Additionally, Pablo has been engaged in projects on the impact of electromobility in the grid and on the economics battery energy storage systems.
- Employed by Energynautics since February 2018, his core areas are Smart Grids and Power Systems planning.
- Thorsten Schlößer studied Energy Engineering at RWTH Aachen. During his studies, he specialized on renewable energies with a focus on electromobility, modelling of building heating demand and corresponding implementation of heat pumps.
- He has been employed at Energynautics since September 2018. His main focus is on the development of power grid integration concepts that account for the expected rise of electromobility.
- For this purpose, he designs simulation models to analyze charging behaviour in the context of grid load relief by smart charging algorithms or conventional grid expansions.
- Additionally, Thorsten Schlößer is versed in the area of further low voltage network grid loads such as conventional household loads, photovoltaic feed in and heat pump loads. Moreover, he has extensive knowledge on communication standards in the context of the upcoming smart meter gateways.
- Alice Vieira Turnell achieved a master’s degree in Electric Power Engineering with the focus on renewable energy integration at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, and a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering at Universidade Federal de Campina Grande, Brazil.
- She has been employed at Energynautics since October 2018, following a 6-month research cooperation with Energynautics during her master thesis. Her key focus area is grid capacity optimization in the context of variable renewable energy integration.
- In addition, Alice Vieira Turnell has profound knowledge in PV frequency control strategies and frequency stability assessments in systems with low inertia.
- Furthermore, she has developed simulation models of isolated hybrid PV-diesel-storage systems with a high variable renewable penetration to analyse cost saving potentials.
- Sammit Vartak studied Electrical Engineering and Information Technology at RWTH Aachen University. During his studies he specialized in electrical power systems with the focus on grid integration of renewable energy.
- Sammit Vartak is experienced in techno-economic simulation studies used for investment planning to achieve energy access and decarbonization targets. He is also working on dynamic stability studies in the context of high renewable penetration.
- He is employed at Energynautics since August 2020. His focus is on power system planning and stability assessment of the electrical grid. Before joining Energynautics, he worked with ABB Power Grids in Switzerland on optimum investment planning studies for Indian power sector. He also has experience in designing and installation of small grid-tied and off grid solar PV systems in India.
- Pia Henzel studied Electrical Engineering and Information Technology with specialization on Electrical Power Engineering at TU Darmstadt. Her studies focused on grid integration of renewable energies and future energy systems.
- She has expertise in modeling and evaluating fault current limiters in high-voltage direct-current transmission networks. Furthermore, she is familiar with voltage stability analysis of transmission grids and simulation of transients.
- Employed by Energynautics since September 2020, her core areas include resilient smart grid modeling and analysis of stationary battery storage systems.
- Ankit Jotwani did his masters in Wind Energy Engineering from Technical University of Denmark. He was part of the Climate-KIC Label Master school in this period. He also holds an integrated bachelor-master degree in Energy Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India.
- He has been employed at Energynautics since February 2020. His work is focused on modelling of renewable generators, control of power converters and power systems planning.
- His expertise is in the domain of design of power electronic converters, power system stability and modeling of wind turbines. He has been a visiting student at ETH Zürich in the Electrical Engineering department. He did his master’s thesis with Infineon Austria, Villach where he worked on magnetics design for power converters.
- Natalia Escobosa is a Sustainable Development Engineer from Tecnológico de Monterrey in Mexico City.
- She did a M.Sc. double degree from the European Institute of Innovation and Technology in Energy Engineering at KU Leuven and UPC Barcelona.
- Natalia joined Energynautics in 2021.
- Her expertise is on integration of variable renewable energies in the grid, particularly through flexibility options for the power system such as forecasting, ancillary services and hydrogen. In the area of energy efficiency she focused on learning networks for Energy Management Systems according to ISO 50001.
Marketing, Events & Administration:
- Uta Betancourt has a degree in English and Spanish as Dipl.-Linguist.
- At Energynautics she is responsible for coordinating the events as well as for the communications with speakers and event partners and for compiling the workshop’s proceedings.
- Anke Ost owns a degree in Business Administration and Political Science.
- At Energynautics she is responsible for the organisation of the workshops in particiular registration services, hotel cooperations and content creation for all marketing material, websites, newsletter etc.
- Katharina Fischer has a degree as an Event Coordinator.
- She is jointly responsible for the organization of the workshops with focus on hotel cooperations and sponsoring.
- Stefanie Benzing received a degree in Webdesign & Development.
- She is responsible for all analog and digital graphic content and the external presentation of Energynautics. Also she supports the workshop team with the visual communication of the international events.
- Petra Brandl received a degree in pharmacy and later on in office management.
- At Energynautics she is responsible for administration and accountancy.
- Regine Horn-Fricke holds degrees in industrial business management as well as graphic design. At Energynautics, she is working in the accounting department and is mainly reponsible for the validation of the travel costs.
- Furthermore she assists the Workshop Team.